Porcelain Veneers - Mansfield, TX
Covering Chipped or Uneven Teeth
It is not uncommon for adults to have multiple visible imperfections affecting the front teeth -- like chips, cracks, stains, and other things that make the smile look less than perfect. Correcting each of these issues with separate cosmetic treatments would be time consuming and expensive. Fortunately, there is a way to transform smiles affected by any number of imperfections with a single treatment. Porcelain veneers can improve the size, shape, shade, and overall appearance of the teeth that show when you speak and smile! Keep reading to learn more about this treatment from your cosmetic dentist in Mansfield, Dr. Sandi L. Hamm.
What Are Porcelain Veneers?
Porcelain veneers are thin coverings applied to the front side of the teeth that show when you smile. They are fixed and cannot be removed after application. Veneers are highly customizable and can completely transform imperfect teeth over the course of just two visits to the dentist’s office. To place porcelain veneers, we will most likely have to remove a sliver of your natural tooth enamel -- so you will always need something covering up the teeth once you have had this treatment performed.
Porcelain offers a number of advantages in cosmetic dentistry. It is a sturdy material that looks just like tooth enamel, for the most visually pleasing result possible. Plus, because porcelain is highly resistant to stains, you will not have to worry about your veneers taking on the shade of what you eat and drink. In fact, many people consider porcelain veneers to be like a permanent teeth whitening treatment.
How Can Porcelain Veneers Improve my Smile?
Porcelain veneers do not actually correct dental imperfections -- they work much more simply than that. Rather than fixing the tooth, veneers cover up the issue with a new layer of beautiful porcelain. Because it is so simple, this treatment can be used to fix any number of issues affecting cosmetically flawed but otherwise healthy teeth.
Veneers can improve the appearance of teeth that are:
- Chipped or uneven
- Oddly textured in the front, like covered in visible pits and grooves
- Severely stained or discolored and have not responded to teeth whitening treatments
- Slightly gapped, for an “instant braces” effect
- Too short or small
- Pointed or oddly shaped
During a cosmetic consultation, Dr. Hamm will evaluate the health of your smile and discuss your goals with cosmetic dentistry to determine the ideal treatment for you. If you are in good oral health and have a budget to support veneers, this is likely an excellent option for your smile!
How to Maintain Porcelain Veneers?
Once you get porcelain veneers, taking excellent care of them is important to ensure that they stay sturdy and beautiful for a long time to come. With proper maintenance, dental veneers can last for up to 20 years before replacement becomes necessary. Repair is usually not possible since each veneer is made from a single piece of porcelain -- instead, the entire veneer must usually be replaced. Fortunately, this process is just as simple the second time around.
Keep these tips in mind as you work to care for your porcelain veneers:
- Maintain proper oral hygiene to keep the surrounding teeth and gums healthy. Porcelain cannot develop tooth decay, but the rest of your smile remains vulnerable to common oral health hazards, which can shorten the lifespan of your veneers.
- Wear a protective mouthguard if you play contact sports. Sports injuries are one of the most common causes of dental emergencies, which can spell trouble if you have dental veneers.
- Get treatment for bruxism, or nighttime teeth grinding. This condition will place pressure on the veneers and eventually cause them to wear down.
- Avoid damaging habits like nail biting, pen chewing, and eating ice.
- If you do notice a veneer becoming loose or if one breaks, notify your dentist right away.
Learn More about Porcelain Veneers!
Are you interested in how porcelain veneers can transform your smile? We invite you to get in touch with Dr. Hamm’s office soon! Your Mansfield cosmetic dentist can’t wait to help you love the way your teeth look. Contact us to book a visit today!